Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Scarf Season!

Hi Pinners!

Its Fall.

Just in case you didn't notice and live in a place that is always hot, like I do now. But I am from New York and in my honest opinion, the best season is Fall. Its beautiful. The leaves are changing and the breeze is nice in cool...but most importantly, its SCARF SEASON!!!!

I absolutely love scarfs. As I was pinning my way through Pinterest, all of these DYI Scarf post kept appearing. I felt like a kid in a candy shop. A certain picture that really stood out to me was the T-SHIRT SCARF!

It will take you about an hour from start to finish, but that's with bathroom breaks and eating a sandwich :) 
All you will need is a shirt & fabric scissors.

First off, take any t-shirt (well one you don't want to wear anymore) and lay it out nice and flat.



Okay, so once you laid out your shirt, cut the bottom hem off so it becomes a straight line. Some shirts are longer in the back than in the front, so just make it even. 


Next, cut 1 inch strips of the shirt all the way up to about the sleeves. It doesn't need to be perfect, its okay if its a little choppy.

I got 17 strips of my shirt, it doesn't matter if you get more or less. It only depends on how wide your strips are.
 

Now you need to tug the strips and try to make them all the same length. You don't need to be gentle, they are pretty hard to rip (even if your the hulk). Now I have 17 loops.



Because I had a shirt with seams, I wanted to hid them underneath the wrapping...you don't have too do this :)


Now gather up all of your loops except one. So with the 17th loop, cut it in half so it can be used as the wrapping one. I tucked the strip into the loops and then started wrapping tightly and very neatly to cover the seams. At the end of the wrapping, I did some kind of knot that I don't know what its called to tie it off. Get creative. Then I used the other half of the strip to do the other side.


And there ya go! Nice and simple, cute and unique! You can also cut up two different color shirts or maybe even shirts with patterns. Anything works and either way it looks great. Its okay if it isn't perfect...


Perfection is boring.

  BYE PINNERS!

 

7 comments:

  1. I made like a MILLION of these last year right after it stopped being cold, and I have been dyyyinnngggg to wear them this year. It needs to dip below 90 at some point so I have an excuse to start wearing them. They are super easy and super cute. They also were the best way to recycle all the other obnoxiously patterned Forever 21 shirts from back in the day. Thank you for reminding me about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's your chance to pull out your handmade scarfs! Im glad you enjoyed the post and yes, recycled shirts make the best scarves!

      Delete
  2. Ok, I have read enough of your posts and you have convinced me. I am signing up for Pinterest. This is an awesome idea and I also LOVE scarves. I always heard their was cool stuff on it but now I know what I have been missing out on. Between your red bottom heals and now this I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you fall in love with Pinterest like I did. Keep up on it and definitely check the DIY category. Its simply perfect for anyone who likes to do small simple crafts. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea. I'm always recycling things and finding new uses for stuff as well. I made a balaclava out of a stretchy t-shirt not to long ago. I have never been to pinterest site and now I am curious if there are any dedicated to sportsmen or the likes there of? The re-proposing of materials and creating an entirely new object out of what could be considered scrap is appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://pinterestedd.blogspot.com/2012/10/lets-hear-it-for-boyssports.html :) enjoy.

      Delete
    2. What an amazing idea! And who doesn't have a ton of old t-shirts lying around? This was a really fun post for me to read. I just showed my friend your page and they thought it was pretty cool. I really like your instructions. They are clear and concise, and easy to follow!

      Delete